If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I created this recipe to showcase the distinctive flavors of two of my favorite heirloom tomatoes: bright, tangy Tasty Evergreens and deep, rich Brandywines. I also added a few yellow cherry tomatoes in the soup for a little bit of added sweetness and a splash of balsamic vinegar and a few purple cherry tomatoes in the garnish for added depth of color and flavor. The color contrast is stunning and the contrasting textures of the crunchy garnish with the smooth soup is refreshing on a warm summer night when tomatoes are at their peak. Prepare the components a bit ahead of time, so that the flavors can meld. I like to serve this at room temperature to experience the flavors most fully, but you could also serve it chilled. - Fairmount_market
For the gazpacho
- 2 large Tasty Evergreen heirloom tomatoes
- 8 yellow cherry tomatoes
- 8 basil leaves
- salt to taste
for the garnish
- 1 Brandywine tomato
- 4 purple cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 small cucumber
- 1 tablespoon good balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Prepare the soup. Rinse and roughly chop the tomatoes. Combine them with the basil leaves in a blender and puree until very smooth. Salt to taste.
- Prepare the garnish. Peel the cucumber and cut into a small dice. Chop the tomatoes into a small dice. Stir together with the vinegar and olive oil, salt and pepper. Adjust seasonings.
- Plate the soup in shallow soup bowls. Place a mound of garnish (two heaping soup spoons worth) in the center of the bowl. Then carefully pour the green gazpacho around the garnish and serve at once.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls