Author Notes: Start an elegant menu with a tray of cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, assorted olives and those toasts as hors d’oeuvres or accompany them with a Greek style salad as a first course. Pour a California Chardonnay and your party will get the perfect beginning.
The Mustard-Chive butter is also delicious over baked fish or roasted vegetables. Some times I use cream or goat cheese instead of butter and horseradish instead of mustard, or mix in just a little of finely minced smoked salmon.
A loaf of Italian bread works perfectly too.
Food52 Review: WHO: Kukla is a classical pianist living in West Hollywood.
WHAT: A tasteful upgrade to a classic party hors d'oeuvre.
HOW: Simply mix up your compound butter, spread it on toast, and layer on the salmon.
WHY WE LOVE IT: Kukla's use of herbs, mustard, and lemon make for a perfectly-balanced compound butter. We love this preparation -- who wouldn't? -- but we also see this butter on top of a white fish, vegetables, or just about anything that needs its rich, herby tang. Since there are so few ingredients, make sure to use the best of each. Party time! - Food52
Serves makes 20:
- 10 ounces of the best quality smoked salmon in medium-thin slices (Norwegian or Wild Alaskan)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 31/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped chives or green onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 thin, long French Baguette, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place bread slices on baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden and crispy. Let cool.
- Mix butter, lemon juice and zest, chives, mustard, dill, salt and pepper in a bowl until well blended. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Spread a thick layer of the mustard- chive butter and place a slice of smoked salmon on top of each toast. Place on a platter or serving tray and serve.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw