Author Notes: Going raw here is an easy switch. I know that salad roll ups are not new, but these are really delicious when you make them small like this. You can also use lettuce for rolling, if you avoid the ribs. Hummus is a substitute dip for those with nut allergies. You can use 1/2 cup of fresh garbanzo beans right out of the pod and puree them with avocado for a nut free alternative. - Sagegreen
Makes as many as you need
- 1/2 cup whole almonds (or other nuts like cashew or fresh garbanzo beans)
- 2 large avocados
- handful of parsley and cilantro, divided
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- juice of lemon, Meyer preferred
- 1 red and 1 green cabbage
- 2-3 carrots
- 1 cucumber
- other vegetables, as you like such as red bell pepper and scallions
- 1.5 inch of peeled ginger, sliced into thin slivers
- To make a dip, begin by making a crunchy butter out of the almonds in a food processor. Add one peeled and pitted avocado, a few sprigs of herbs, salt, and lemon juice (from one half of a lemon) and process until smooth enough to your liking. Chill until serving.
- Rough julienne-cut the carrots, cucumber, other avocado, and any other vegetables you like into one and one half inch lengths. Shave some cabbage and thinly slice some lettuce.
- Take several large, clean outer cabbage leaves which are at least 1.75 inches wide and 2-3 inches long. Avoid the ribs; work with the smooth areas of the leaves for rolling. Place a select leaf piece down on your working surface. Lay a bundle (no bigger than an inch and a half around) of your julienned vegetables including a little ginger down across a leaf. Add a squeeze of lemon juice, especially over the avocado. Add a small topping of shaved cabbage and/or lettuce. Top with a small sprig of herbs. Compress the contents a bit and roll the leaf very tightly around the filling; insert a toothpick to keep fastened. Trim off the ends of the roll to neaten and reveal the contents. This should be just under an inch and a half long and an inch in diameter. You can reserve any scraps you trimmed off for a salad later.
- Make as many as you need and like. Serve with the dip suggested or another one of your choice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw