Author Notes: The sweet/tart flavors of red ripe tomatoes and apricots are deepened a bit by the addition of fennel and a sweet onion. The soup takes on a beautiful hue which stands out against the fennel fronds and a dollop of sour cream.
I timed it: 8 minutes start to finish, including washing the vegetables. - boulangere
- 2 large tomatoes, cored, quartered, coarsely chopped
- 4 apricots, halved, pits removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion (I used a Vidalia), coarsely chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- 8 ounces carrot juice
- 2 ounces good olive oil
- Sea or kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 4 chilled bowls
- Sour cream for garnish
- Chopped fennel fronds for garnish
- Place all vegetables and lime juice in the bowl of a food processor. Turn it on, and add the carrot juice through the feed tube. Process until nicely smooth. Add olive oil, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Process one last time.
- Divide among chilled bowls. Drop a generous dollop of sour cream. Garnish with chopped fennel fronds. Serve outside, hopefully in the shade of an old, familiar tree.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw