Author Notes: I fell in love with this summer cocktail, but it took me several versions to come up with a July 4th cocktail. "Cooking Light" got me started and Ina's "Pineapple Margaritas" helped as well. Finally, from Kelsey AKA The Naptime Chef, I got the helpful hint to sieve the watermelon.
These are pretty potent. I managed to cut my finger as I carved the grilled pork tenderloin, talking over my shoulder to my friend, Jan. Still, they were pretty luscious...
Serves 4-6, generously
- 1 tablespoon white sugar or sea salt
- 1/2 organic lime
- 6-8 cups cubed, seedless watermelon
- 2 cups white tequila
- 2 cups freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup Cointreau
- 1 cup triple sec
- small watermelon balls and lime wedges (optional)
- Pour sugar or salt into a wide saucer. Rub the rims of 4 martini glasses with half a lime. Dip and swirl the glasses in the sugar or salt. Freeze the glasses.
- Using a processor, puree the chopped watermelon, erring on the "big" idea, since straining will reduce the mixture by half.
- Sieve the watermelon puree and set aside.
- In a large pitcher, combine the tequila, lime juice, Triple Sec and Cointreau.
- Add the watermelon puree. Stir and chill for several hours.
- Load a cocktail shaker halfway full with ice. Pour in the chilled cocktail mix and shake. Repeat as needed.
- Pour chilled margaritas into sugared glasses. Garnish - or not - with toothpick-loaded small watermelon balls and tiny lime wedges.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Poolside Cocktail