Author Notes: The beautiful red bell is a delightful cocktail made at Manifesto, a modern day speakeasy in Kansas City, Missouri. It’s strong but not overpowering, naturally slightly sweet, and refreshingly light. I'm generally not a fan of gin, but I adore this drink.
While I’m not entirely sure this is exactly the same formula used at Manifesto, I can tell you it’s awfully close. You can read my full post about it at http://cookieandkate.com/2011/beautiful-red-bell-cocktail/. - Cookie and Kate
- small handfuls red bell pepper
- 5 sprigs basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1.5 ounces gin
- Slice 1/3 of a bell pepper into small strips, about two inches long.
- In a shaker, combine red pepper, 5 or 6 basil leaves and the juice of half a lime. Muddle thoroughly, until the red pepper is thoroughly smashed. It shouldn’t have any crunch left to it.
- Add gin and lots of ice. Shake like crazy.
- Strain and pour into a chilled martini glass. Fall in love with the beautiful red bell!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Poolside Cocktail