If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've been meaning to make my own fresh salsa for ages, I buy it way too much. Since it is summer and tomatoes are beautiful I thought why not make it with some colorful heirloom tomatoes for extra beauty and flavor! - DUZE @BakingBackwards
Serves a crowd
- 3 large heirloom tomatoes (different colors prefferably)
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 tsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 large handful fresh cilantro
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1/3 small can ofchopped jalepenos
- First I crushed the garlic and placed it in a small mixing bowl. Next I zested and juiced the limes and combined with the garlic.
- Then I chopped the tomatoes and added them, juice and all, to the mixture.
- I then roughly chopped the cilantro and mixed it in as well. I topped off the mixture with the vinegar, sugar and spices. I roughly chopped the onions and added them. I roughly chopped the jalepenos and added them and some of their juices from the can.
- Don't be alarmed by the volume of liquid. Next I grabbed my hand blender and pulsed it on and off to puree bits of the mixture while leaving some parts more chunky.
- I let the mixture to sit for a few minutes. Then I grabbed a fine mesh sieve and another small mixing bowl and strained out the excess liquid, reserving it. I added the strained mulch back to the original bowl, adding a bit of the liquid I reserved to thin it to my desired consistency (your call based on how you like your salsa). I then covered it and refrigerated it.
- At this stage the salsa is very fresh and tangy, but wait a few days and all the flavors will intensify. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
Kids Love Pizza, It's a Fact
Repurposing that leftover pie.
Fact: Kids love pizza.
Recipe of the Day
All you need for Memorial Day.
Cooking the classics from comics.
Mortar and pestle perfection.