Author Notes: One of my favorite spots for a quick bite in Paris is a chain called Exki, which has an amazing selection of fresh, healthy, natural, delicious vegetarian dishes. I was so impressed by one dish — mahina — that I snapped a picture of the ingredients and made it as soon as I got back home. Mahina is a crunchy salad that combines green cabbage, coconut, and apple, along with a few seasonings. At first glance, it doesn’t look like much, but it is delicious – crisp, complex, tart, and just a little sweet. The version I had at Exki was a little monochromatic, but using a red apple with its skin on instead of a green or peeled one fixes that, as does adding some bigger pieces of cilantro. - bottomupfood
- 4 cups green cabbage, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup dried coconut flakes
- 1 crisp appled, cored and diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil, like canola
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine the first four ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the last four ingredients together into a dressing.
- Add the dressing, mix well, and enjoy.