Author Notes: While its not hard to recklessly toss away the green tops of daikon radishes & beets when they're store bought, the whole equation changes when you've grown the vegetable yourself or if the produce is fresh & Organic to boot. I've made this dish multiple times with various greens that adorn root vegetables, Home grown Radish, or a bunch of golden beet greens from Whole foods. Its a great way of getting 2 dishes from one produce. A great healthy deal! - Panfusine
- 3 cups chopped radish or beet greens
- 1 medium red onion cut into thin strips
- 2 cups diced Yukon potatoes
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper powder
- 1 pinch sugar
- Lemon juice as required
- In a skillet, heat the oil till smoking and add the whole mustard, cumin & fenugreek seeds. when the mustard sputters and the fenugreek turns golden brown, add the onions & saute till soft.
- Add the potatoes along with the salt, turmeric & cayenne. Reduce heat, cover & cook till the potatoes are soft. Sprinkle some water if necessary.
- add the radish greens toss to combine & cover again. Cook for about 5-10 minutes on low heat till the leaves have wilted.
- Sprinkle some sugar & remove from the stove.Drizzle lemon juice & serve with warm roti or tortillas.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radishes or Turnips