If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I ? Madame Jeanette peppers - hot and blossomy, sweet and fragrant and in the scotch bonnet family! These make a great perky condiment, perfect for everything - from bacon and plantain rolls to chicken and rice. —Kitchen Butterfly
Makes a 1/2 cup (or less)
- 3 ripe plantains (the plantains should be very ripe but still be able to hold its shape; get those with blackened spots)
- 1 packet of bacon, with 8 rashers, desalted if you like
- Yellow Chilli Sauce
- YELLOW CHILLI SAUCE
- 1 sweet, large white onion (peeled and chopped)
- 3-4 yellow peppers
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- Salt, to taste
- Maggi sauce, to taste
- Small bowls of cooked tomato sauce/ragu to serve
- TO MAKE PLANTAIN BITES: Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees C (375 degrees F) and line a baking sheet with foil. Grease the baking sheet lightly and set aside.
- Peel the plantains and cut them into 1-inch rounds. You can desalt your bacon by soaking for a couple of minutes (twice) in hot water.
- Cut the (de-salted) rashers of bacon in half and brush on some chilli sauce, then wrap each piece of plantain with a piece of bacon. Secure with a toothpick or two.
- Place the plantain pieces on the baking sheet so that the meaty side of the bacon is in contact with the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until the bottom of the plantains are caramelized and the bacon is cooked through.
- Remove from pan and place on wire rack to cool. Serve baked plantains warm or at room temperature and bottoms-up to show off the caramelised base. I accompanied mine with some ‘stew’- a cooked mixture of tomato sauce, onion and spices and some more chilli sauce.
- TO MAKE YELLOW CHILLI SAUCE: In a blender, process the onion and peppers with some water till smooth.
- In a frying pan on medium heat, put the oil (open up windows, place the extractor on) and let heat up gently.
- Add the onion mixture and let cook gently for a few minutes. Add some salt and Maggi sauce, to taste and let simmer gently for 10 – 15 minutes, till the sauce is ‘cooked’ or ‘fried’. and the oil rises to the top. Let cool and refrigerate.
- Use the oil in other dishes and serve the sauce....as desired
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.