Author Notes: Adapting the Joy of Pickling's Vietnamese Pickled Carrot and Radish recipe I selected a variety of hot and sweet chili peppers with Vidalia onion to make some pickled toppings perfect for the Banh mi and other grinders. - Sagegreen
Makes 2 pints
- 2/3 pounds assorted chili peppers, sweet and hot varieties mixed
- 1/3 pound Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 8 teaspoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- pinch of Korean chile pepper threads
- Slice the peppers and onions into slivers. Remove the seeds and membranes from the peppers. In a bowl toss the vegetables with the salt. Let stand 10 minutes, then rinse and drain well.
- Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar. Pour over the vegetables. Add the chile threads to the vegetables. Let them stand for 1 hour.
- The pickles are ready to use. Pack in clean glass jars covered tightly and stored in the refrigerator. These will keep for about a week. Drain the liquid off before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe