If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An almost overwhelming crop of peppers and tomatoes has kept me busy making soups and sauces for several weeks now and the latest pickings were turned into a lovely summer soup for our take on the latest BLT night. —ibbeachnana
- 1 pound (3/4-1 pound) of peppers, halved, seeded, cored, roasted
- 1 can (28 ounces) San Marzano whole tomatoes
- 3 pounds plum, yellow and red grape tomatoes, roasted
- 1 Vidalia onion rough chopped
- 3 shallots rough chopped
- 8 cloves garlic rough chopped or 1 head roasted garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups basil, packed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 32 ounces chicken stock or broth
- 8 basil leaves for garnish
- 1 slice crispy pancetta per serving crumbled
- 5-6 tablespoons extra EVOO for roasting tomatoes and peppers
- Salt and pepper
- Toss tomatoes with 2-3 tablespoons EVOO, salt and pepper, roast in 375° for about 25 minutes. Use another baking sheet to roast peppers (or broil), toss with 2 tablespoons EVOO, salt and pepper, broil until lightly charred. I don't bother removing skins as the whole pot of soup is pureed and put through a food mill
- In a large soup pot over medium heat sauté the onions and garlic in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Add a touch of red wine to deglaze, canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Add the oven-roasted tomatoes and peppers, including the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 35-50 minutes. Use a stick blender to puree the contents of the pot and strain through a food mill. Taste for seasonings and serve hot with a dollop of Pesto and crispy pancetta.
- Pesto is an optional garnish as is the crispy pancetta. Crispy prosciutto and bacon can be substituted.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
What to Watch (and Cook to) on Netflix
Eat this from the comfort of your couch
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
It's time to travel.
Hone and design links we love.
Off to market.