Author Notes: One night I made my special turkey loaf and realized I had forgotten to buy ingredients for a side dish. In a panic, I checked the fridge; all I had were yams, sour cream, butter and a jar of jalapeños. I ended up mixed them together and now we can't have one without the other. - MariGarrett
Serves 4 +/-
- 2 pounds garnet yams, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup low fat sour cream
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cup chopped jarred jalapeños (measure after chopping)
- Boil yams until tender and can be pierced easily with a fork, about 15 minutes (cooking times may vary).
- While yams are boiling, place the sour cream, garlic powder, ginger powder and the jalapeños in a large mixing bowl, and stir until well mixed.
- Add drained yams to the sour cream mixture, add butter and either mash manually with a potato masher or use a hand mixer, until the yam mixture is mashed to your desired consistency. Enjoy!