Author Notes: My grandmother is 87 years old and still cooks for my entire extended Italo-Australian family. This sauce, though extremely simple,is my absolute favourite. Use fresh, ripe tomatoes and serve with plenty of grated parmesan and you just cannot go wrong. - lamingtonsandlasagna
Serves about 15 people
- 18 ripe tomatoes
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 white onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3 basil leaves
- pinches bicarb of soda
- olive oil
- Wash the tomatoes and cut out the core. Score them with a deep cross. Place in a large saucepan.
- Over the tomatoes pour a generous amount of olive oil and a sprinkling of salt.
- Add celery, carrots, onions, garlic, basil and bicab. Turn the heat to medium-low and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have completely broken down.
- Pass through a mouli and discard the solids. Serve immediately with pasta or bottle to put in the freezer.