If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I first made this ice cream no one could guess that the secret ingredient was corn. It's very refreshing. - Judy at Two Broads Abroad —Judy at My Well Seasoned Life
Food52 Review: Delicious and refreshing! This ice cream has a perfectly smooth and creamy texture thanks to straining out the coconut and corn solids. Ripe summer corn lends an overall sweetness to the ice cream, and relatively little sugar is needed. The next time I make this, I will try using an immersion blender. It will likely alter the texture, but it will save a few dirty dishes. - esantillo —The Editors
Makes one quart
- 2 ears fresh sweet corn skived
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- Pour milk, cream, corn, 1/4 cup of sugar and coconut into a heavy sauce pan and simmer at low heat for five minutes. Set aside and let cool for about 15 minutes or longer.
- When milk mixture has cooled, strain and put coconut and corn solids into blender. Puree. Adding enough milk to make sure it purees easily. Pass the solids through a medium strainer. Discard solids. Combine pureed corn/coconut and milk/cream in same medium sauce pan and heat to a simmer.
- Add egg yolks and 1/2 of sugar into mixing bowl and beat until yolks are light in color.
- Slowly add half cup of the milk/cream mixture whisking to incorporate. Then whisk in the remaining eggs into the milk.
- Cook egg/milk mixture over medium heat until it reaches about 175 degrees.
- Chill overnight
- Place mixture in ice cream maker and spin until ice cream.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn off the Cob
The Key to Okonomiyaki
Meet your new favorite Japanese dish
Your new favorite Japanese dish.
Bring some flare to your cookout.
Life's better with snacks.
You haven't thai'd this before.
A better basket.