Author Notes: When wild garlic is in the market, I always bring home a bunch and try something new. Inspired by the White Cheese Pizza with Ramps at Food & Wine, I ramped up (ha!) the garlic to make a pizza that kept vampires away for weeks. Use your favorite pizza dough here, just make sure to go for a thinner crust to showcase the lovely garlic. - Minimally Invasive
- 1 head garlic
- 5 black peppercorns
- olive oil
- 1 recipe pizza dough
- 15-20 bulbs wild garlic, plus greens
- 10 cloves garlic confit, mashed
- 1 cup coarsely grated fresh mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- truffle oil or melted truffle butter (optional, but encouraged)
- For the confit: In a small pot of boiling water, blanch the garlic cloves for 20-30 seconds, then shock them in an ice bath. Cut off the tip of each clove, slip off the peel and dry each clove. Place peeled cloves in a small baking dish with peppercorns, then cover with olive oil by up to one inch. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until cloves are golden and very soft. Cool slightly, remove peppercorns and place garlic and oil in a glass jar. Refrigerate for up to one week.
- Roll out pizza dough to about 1/8" thickness. Brush dough with garlic oil from the confit and pre-bake for about 5 minutes, or just until it holds its shape.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Blanch the wild garlic until they are bright green but still al dente, about 1 minute. Drain, pat dry and cut into 1-inch lengths.
- After pre-baking, spread the dough with garlic confit and sprinkle on the grated mozzarella in an even layer. Scatter the blanched wild garlic over the mozzarella and season liberally with salt and pepper. Top with the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Bake for about 8 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the pizza crust is browned and crisp on the bottom. Transfer the pizza to a work surface, cut into pieces, lightly drizzle with truffle oil or butter and serve right away.