If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my family's favorite snacks is popcorn. Gourmet Magazine once had a Last Touch article on flavored popcorns that captured my interest. Recently, when my kids and I put our heads together to try to come up with some interesting new variations, we decided to sample one of our favorite family dinners, chili, in popcorn form. Here is the tempting result. If you like, you can add chipotle chili powder, or, conversely, remove the smokey aspect by using regular salt and eliminating the South African Smoke flavoring. - creamtea
For the spice blend (makes more than needed)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-2 pinch sea salt
- 5-6 grinds smoked sea salt (available at Trader Joe's)
- 5-6 grinds South African Smoke Spice Blend (available at Trader Joe's) or smoked Spanish paprika to taste (about 1/8 t. or more)
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
For the popcorn
- 1/3 cup good quality popping corn
- In a small dish, combine dry seasoning ingredients.
- In a separate small custard cup, in the microwave, melt butter (about 1 minute at half-power, pausing midway to stir). Or melt on top of the stove in a small, heavy saucepan.
- Whisk about 1 1/2 teaspoons spice mixture into the melted butter.
- Pop corn using desired method: in corn popper in microwave, or on top of stove. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir seasoned butter and drizzle over corn. Stir to distribute, taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Serve hot.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food