If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it
Author Notes: Corn and tomatoes go together beautifully. I made my go to corn bread recipe added caramelized onions, queso fresco cheese and studded with baked cherry tomatoes. Its great on its own smothered with melted butter or a dollop of sour cream or have with your favorite soup or stew.I am including my corn bread recipe but use your favorite in its place. Use a 9 or 10 inch skillet to bake the cornbread. - sdebrango
Tomatoes,onions and cheese
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/2 onion chopped
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup queso fresco grated
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper place tomatoes cut side up on sheet in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, turn off oven and leave tomatoes in for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In cast iron skillet coated with olive oil cook the chopped onions until caramelized. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
Baking the cornbread
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter for pan
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.Using the same skillet you cooked the onions in add the tbs of butter place skillet in the oven to get hot.
- To a mixing bowl add the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Add milk, egg and oil, onions and grated cheese. Stir to combine. Remove hot pan from oven pour the cornbread batter into the hot pan and place baked tomatoes on top of the batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes
Tags: cherry tomato,corn bread