Author Notes: This recipe came from a local food challenge that was presented by the National Cooperative Grocers Association. They presented me with some ingredients and I had to make up some dishes on the spot. I made duck eggs with pickled chantarelles, and also the dish described below. I thought it worked really well, but each of the components works well on its own, so don't feel the need to cook it all.
For the slaw, I don't grate the Kohlrabi because it loses its crunch, the beets however benefit from being broken down a little more. This is a simple slaw, I always need acid on the food I cook - slaw is always a nice option. - The Perennial Plate
- 8 lamb chops (2 per person)
- 1/2 cup black tea
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons toasted coriander
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- Grind all the ingredients in a coffee grinder or food processor (except the lamb). Sprinkle onto lamb, and rub into the flesh. Let sit for 2 hours then use a paper towel to wipe off what you can, bring the lamb to room temperature. Sear the lamb chops on either side and cook to medium rare (140). Let rest for 5-10 minutes.
Taleggio Orzo and Kohlrabi Slaw
- 2 small kohlrabi, peeled and julienned
- 3 small yellow beets
- greens of the beets, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- olive oil
- 2 cups orzo
- pot of water
- 2 cups minced dandelion greens
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup grated taleggio
- For the slaw: Combine the kohlrabi, yellow beets, beet greens, shallot, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and salt in a bowl, leave to marinade for 5 minutes or so.
- For the orzo: Bring salted water to a boil, add orzo and cook through. Strain the orzo but reserve some of the liquid. Add in the butter, followed by the dandelion greens (you want them to wilt a little). Then slowly add the grated cheese, make sure to add some of the pasta water as well. You are basically making Mac and Cheese, by slowly adding the cheese and hot water, it will melt evenly to a sort of risotto consistency.
- Server all together or as separate dishes.