If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Trust me to traipse off half way across the world just when a contest theme involving a staple pops up..
Rasams are tangy spicy clear broths that are served with rice as a second course in a traditional 3 course South Indian meal. The defining spice notes come from a coarse mix of cumin & coriander, supplemented by curry leaves & fresh cilantro for a garnish. —Panfusine
Makes 3 cups
Rasam Spice blend
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons Cumin seeds
- 2 dried arbol chiles
- 1 tablespoon dried split pigeon peas (Tuvar dal)
- 4 cups water
- 1 large olive sized ball of tamarind fruit pulp OR
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind extract
- 2 tablespoons Rasam spice blend
- 1 cup Cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafetida powder
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 small green chile slit in two
- ~1 teaspoon sea salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- In a coffee grinder, combine the ingredients for the spice blend & grind to a coarse powder
- Set the water to boil in a saucepan & add the tamarind, spice blend, tomatoes, asafetida, curry leaves,turmeric and salt ( all the ingredients except the cilantro, lime, ghee & cumin). Bring to a boil & then simmer, till the tomatoes are really soft. (~ 15 minutes)
- In a cast iron skillet, heat the ghee till REALLY smoking hot. add the cumin seeds & allow to sputter, split & brown. Add this sizzling tempering into the broth.
- Remove from heat & garnish with chopped cilantro. Add lime juice as per taste, Serve over plain rice. Or simply with as a light broth.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.