If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
- 3 cups zucchini batons, approx. 2 1/2 inches long and 1/4 to 3/8 inch square, you want to use firm and relatively seed free zucchini
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup milk, maybe more
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- peanut oil for frying
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Place the zucchini batons into a strainer set over a bowl and toss them lightly with a teaspoon of kosher salt. If you are using table salt use 1/2 teaspoon. Let them sit for at least 30 minutes and up to an hour. This step is important because by getting rid of the moisture in the zucchini it allows for a crispier fry that doesn’t go soggy quite as quick.
- Place the flour, 1 1/2 tablespoons of basil, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper into a large plastic or paper bag. Pour the milk into a bowl or small casserole.
- Combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, zest and basil in a bowl and mix. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix, taste and adjust the seasoning. Set the sauce aside. The sauce can be made in advance and stored in the fridge.
- Place a 4 quart heavy bottomed pot on the stove. Fill it no further than 1/3 full with peanut oil, seriously, you don’t want the oil to boil over and catch fire and even if it doesn’t catch fire a half cup of oil will clean up like it is a gallon of oil.
- Turn the heat to medium high and insert a fry thermometer into the oil. Bring the oil to 350?F. Adjust the flame as necessary.
- When the oil is at about 300?F take the zucchini and drain them. Then place them on a towel and thoroughly dry them. This will help to keep the grease from splattering.
- Drop the zucchini into the flour and twist the bag. Shake the zucchini around to get them good and coated.
- Remove the zucchini from the flour to the milk and turn them coating them then drain them and put the zucchini back into the flour. Shake gently to coat them again.
- Dry the strainer you used to salt the zucchini. Place it back over the dried out bowl used for draining and dump the zucchini into the strainer. Gently shake the strainer to remove the excess flour.
- Take the bowl with strainer over to the oil which should be at 350? F now. If you lowered the heat turn it back up to high, the oil temp will drop dramatically and you want it to recover its temp as quickly as possible for non-oily fries, so make sure the flame is on high, and add the zucchini. Fry the zucchini until golden brown and delicious. Remove to a rack or a brown paper bag lined sheet tray, season them with salt and serve immediately with the basil mayonnaise.
Make Fruit Caramel
A case for blending your plums
Blend your plums—seriously.
Burnt Toast: Episode 11
It's time to travel.
You need to make this Indian spice mix.
Off to market.