If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have fond memories of these melt in your mouth shortbreads. They literally melt in your mouth, if you use the ingredients I use. Unlike domestic butter, Irish unsalted butter melts a lot faster due to the fat content.When preparing to bake, remove the butter from the fridge approximately 10 minutes before baking. This will prevent it from melting and it will cream nicely.
- Rachel Gaffney
Makes 2 dozen
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (unbleached & unbromated) flour
- 1 cup cup Unsalted Irish butter. (Kerrygold)
- 1/2 cup Extra fine granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- Preheat Oven to 300 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Make sure your butter is only out of the fridge for about 15 minutes before making this. In a bowl, cream together the butter & sugar. Take your time with this, cream it slowly.
- Using a microplane, zest a whole lemon. Add the lemon zest to the flour. Now, spill the flour and lemon zest to the mixture in a little at a time.
- Don't rush the dough. Let it find it's way together slowly, it will gather nicely.
- When it becomes a ball, topple into onto a floured surface. Roll out to about 1/4 - inch thickness, dusting the rolling pin as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Now use a 2 1/4 inch round fluted cutter , of course you can use whatever size you like. This dough is not one that you can rework too many times.
- Place the baking sheet with shortbreads in the oven and bake until shortbreads just begins to turn golden. Times will vary for different ovens but about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Cool them on the baking sheet for a few minutes but then lift them off the shoot and transfer to a wire cookies wrack.
- I also make these Butter Shortbreads with Belgian Chocolate & Ground Espresso . One of my personal favorites is 'Irish Butter Shortbreads'
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe