If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Makes 8 slices
Tart Crust (makes enough for two tarts)
- 2.5 cups A.P. Flour
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter (frozen)
- 2 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4-1/2 cups Ice Cold Water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Sift together all of the dried ingredients. Making sure they are evenly incorporated.
- Using a box grater, grate the butter into the dry ingredients. Making sure to toss the butter in the flour as you go.
- Refrigerate the butter and flour mixture for 15 minutes.
- Slowly drizzle in 1 tablespoon of water at a time. Using your hands, toss the flour, butter, and water together. Use enough water for the mixture just to come together.
- Pour out onto work surface lightly dusted with flour. Form into 2 equal discs. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough until it is 1/8 inch thick. Place in a 10 inch tart shell. Cover with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the crust is set. Remove the foil and bake an additional 4 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned. Remove and cool completely.
Gouda Filling and Candied Bacon and Hazelnuts
- 1/2 Shallot, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons A.P. Flour
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1/3 cup Gouda, non-aged
- to taste kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Large, Ripe Peaches cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 4 Strips of Bacon, cut into 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch strips
- 1/3 cup Hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- In a medium sauce pot, over medium heat, add the butter. Once melted, add the shallots and sweat until sweet and translucent. About 5 minutes.
- Add the white wine and reduce until au sec (almost completely dry), about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and whisk until a thick paste forms. Cook until a rich nutty aroma comes from the pan, about 5 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Stir until there are no lumps. Cook until the mixture is very thick. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese and mix until completely melted. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the cooked tart shell. You are looking for a thin layer of filling, only 1/4 inch thick. Let sit at room temperature until set.
- In a large saute, cold, saute pan add the bacon. Turn the heat to medium and slowly render out the fat. Cook until 3/4 of the way done. Add the chopped hazelnuts and cook until the bacon is nice and crispy. Add the brown sugar and cook until dissolved. Pour the mixture out onto parchment paper to cool.
- Toss the sliced peaches with the canola oil and a little salt and pepper. Grill the peaches, over high heat, until nice grill marks are achieved, about 3 minutes a side. Remove from the grill.
- Place a single layer of peaches on the tart. Place in a 350 oven for 5-8 minutes. Remove the tart, top with the bacon and hazelnuts, and lightly dressed greens if you like. Serve at once.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Peach Pie or Tart
Egyptian Street Food at Home
Spend quality time with The Cairo Kitchen.
The Cairo Kitchen
Boost your Bagel
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.