If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
- Peanut oil, peanut oil adds a richness only it can to this dish (obviously there are those with serious sensitivities and allergies to peanuts so you may want to ask your guests if they have any issues with peanut oil before making the dish with this oil.
- 2 cups okra, sliced into 3/8 inch slices tops discarded
- 2 cups russet potatoes, small dice (cut the potatoes just before sautéing them so they don’t turn gray. You want the starch on the potatoes so don’t cut them early and soak them in water)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon basil, minced
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Place a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan plus a little extra. Add the okra in one layer if you can if not you will just have to turn them more often. Season the okra with salt and pepper.
- Once one side of the okra is deep brown add the potatoes and toss them with the okra. This will help to separate the chunks of potato that are stuck together with starch. If the pan looks dry add a little more oil. The okra and potatoes will soak up some of the oil. Again season with salt and pepper.
- Keep and eye on the potatoes and keep turning them with the okra to keep them from sticking. Adjust the heat as necessary to help the potatoes cook through with out burning.
- Once the potatoes have browned and are tender add the garlic. Toss everything to mix and once you smell the garlic add the basil and toss again. Taste for seasoning and adjust it as you need to. Platter the okra and potatoes up and serve immediately.
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).