Author Notes: I had some badly bruised tomatoes that I couldn't bear to let go bad, given it's September in Massachusetts. Easily adaptable to however many tomatoes you have on hand. See the full story here: http://threecleversisters.com/2011/09/18/end-of-summer-tomato-crumble/ - sarabclever
For the Tomato filling
- 1.5 pounds tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
For the crumble
- 1 cup bread crumbs (preferably homemade)
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried sage (scant)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190C). Mix the tomatoes, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Spread in a gratin dish (or other oven safe dish).
- Make the crumble by stirring the bread crumbs, sage, marjoram, and parmesan if using together. Add the olive oil and stir until all crumbs are moistened. Sprinkle over the tomatoes.
- When the oven is preheated, bake for 20 minutes. (While I didn’t do so, this dish would take well to being assembled beforehand, though perhaps I’d wait until baking to sprinkle the crumble on top).