If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had some badly bruised tomatoes that I couldn't bear to let go bad, given it's September in Massachusetts. This is easily adaptable to however many tomatoes you have on hand. See the full story here: http://threecleversisters.com/2011/09/18/end-of-summer-tomato-crumble/ - sarabclever
Food52 Review: Even if you're out of end-of-summer tomatoes, make this recipe. Let the crumble fall over any soft, tender vegetables you have on hand (which are best chopped, to be sure they warm evenly), and wait for the heat of the oven to toast the herbs. There's something intrinsically homey about encountering a room scented with garlic, thyme, and sage. This is how you cook comfort, in the summer. - MBobinski
For the Tomato filling
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the crumble
- 1 cup bread crumbs (preferably homemade)
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 scant teaspoons dried sage
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan (optional)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375° F (190° C). Mix the tomatoes, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Spread in a gratin dish (or other oven-safe dish).
- Make the crumble by stirring the bread crumbs, sage, marjoram, and parmesan, if using together. Add the olive oil and stir until all crumbs are moistened. Sprinkle over the tomatoes.
- When the oven is preheated, bake for 20 minutes. (While I didn’t do so, this dish would take well to being assembled beforehand, though perhaps I’d wait until baking to sprinkle the crumble on top).
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.