If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe comes from my friend Chedva. It has a mellow golden flavor that is irresistible. It is tender and sweet; a fine foil to savory meats, and an excellent holiday side dish. It can easily be doubled. Please try it as written first before succumbing to the temptation to add autumn spices or grated citrus peel--it is just lovely and perfect as it is. - creamtea
Food52 Review: Don’t be intimidated by the word soufflé here. This recipe is a snap to put together, no fussy directions or paper cones or scary pan prep directions. You just cook the carrots, whiz everything in the food processor, and bake in a buttered dish. The soufflé is light and puffy, with crisp edges and a nice crusted top. It’s carroty and buttery and really just right. DO resist, as creamtea says, the temptation to add spices and citrus until you have tasted it in it’s pure form. Now that I have, I may fiddle a bit next time just for fun. - aargersi - aargersi
Serves 8 - 10 as a side dish
- 8-10 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled (or soy margarine, or cold-pressed safflower oil if you wish to keep it non-dairy)
- 1 scant cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 egg whites
- Pre-heat oven to 350º. In a large pot of simmering water, cook carrots until tender.
- Remove carrots from liquid, drain well and cool enough so that the egg whites won't cook when you add them.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine carrots with remaining ingredients, and pulse until all is pureed and well blended (this can be done in batches if necessary).
- Scrape carrot mixture into greased and floured 6-8 cup casserole, leaving space for expansion. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until puffed and golden.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side