If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The original recipe was one of my dad's signature dish. Like Thanksgiving turkey leftovers popping up in a kitchen near you during the first week of December, this bright cheerful salad was made at home with clockwork precision annually during the third week of January. Reason: 15th of January marks the harvest festival of Pongal & Makar sankaranthi, commemorating the winter soltice, Makar = goat = the zodiac sign of capricorn) and homes are stocked with freshly harvested ginger and turmeric to ring in prosperity. Kind of like decorating with ears of corn during fall, I guess..
The key ingredient here is the tender ginger root that flavors the entire salad without the overpowering spiciness that characterizes the more mature root that is used in everyday cooking. If you can get your hands on some fresh turmeric root and mango ginger, which is actually a relative of turmeric with the aroma of raw mango (which is pretty much available year round in Indian grocery stores), go for it, else forget the turmeric family, the powdered spice has no place here!) —Panfusine
Makes 1.5 - 2 cup
The root salad
- 1/2 cup grated tender ginger root
- 1/2 cup carrot, peeled & grated
- 1/2 cup golden beet, peeled & grated
- 1/4 cup grated fresh turmeric root and mango ginger (if available, else omit)
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- 1/4 - 1/2 jalapeno, deseeded & julienned
- Kosher Salt to taste (~ 1/2 tsp)
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- 1 pinch asafetida powder (optional)
- Combine the grated Carrots, golden beets & ginger in a bowl with the julienned jalapeno (feel free to up the jalapeno if you have the tolerance). Add the salt & lime juice & toss lightly.
- In a skillet, heat the oil, add the mustard seeds. Once the seeds sputter, remove from fire and add the asafetida, stir well & drizzle over the salad. Mix and allow to rest for 1/2 hr to allow the flavors to combine. Serve cold.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.