Author Notes: My good friend Patti aka InPatsKitchen gave me a recipe for her "Best Ever Scalloped Potatoes" years ago. At our house rutabaga and parsnips are a favorite. When thinking about the contest this week I thought of the yummy scalloped potatoes and decided to try putting a medley together. The result was well received!
This could easily be made vegan by using vegetable stock and a non dairy margarine. - GiGi26
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion sliced very thin and rings separated
- 1 small rutabaga peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 parsnips peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Wondra Flour
- 1 1/2 cup Boiling Chicken Stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Paprika for color
- In a well greased 2 quart casserole layer, rutabaga, onion, carrots, onion, parsnips, onion, potato, lightly salt and pepper between each layer. Repeat layering ending with potatoes on top.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat, stir in flour until well blended. Whisk in stock and stir constantly until the mixture is boiling and thickens.
- Pour over casserole and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 90 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the top is golden brown.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side