Author Notes: I love roasted vegetables because they are easy and delicious, and a particularly tasty method for cooking root vegetables. Here I use sweet potatoes and celery root, but you could really use what you have. I happened to have some duck fat in the fridge, so I tired that instead of my usual olive oil. With the thyme, I think this dish has an earthy quality. - cristinasciarra
Serves 4 small portions
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 celery root
- 1 shallot
- 1 medium white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- small handful of thyme sprigs
- 1/4 cup cup duck fat
- sea salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Peel and chop: sweet potato, celery root, shallot, onion and garlic. Place on a foil-protected baking sheet.
- In a small sauté pan, melt duck fat on medium-low heat.
- Toss the vegetables with melted duck fat, salt, pepper and thyme sprigs.
- Roast for about an hour, or until vegetables are soft on the inside and slightly caramelized on the outside.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side