Author Notes: I like a salad that's a little bruising. I want some crunch, some bitterness, and plenty of clear acidity. Bonus points for pungent flavor. Italian puntarelle with anchovy dressing is my all-time favorite. Do you wish to join me in my feisty salad camp? If so, I have a radish number that will please you deeply and keep vampires away. Or at least a few friends. For this salad you want peppery (but not fiery) radishes. Cut them into thin wedges. Make a sauce with anchovy, garlic, lemon, and capers. And dress the radishes shortly before serving, otherwise the radishes begin to weep and the anchovy sauce loses its mojo. - Amanda - amanda
- 1 large bunch radishes
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarsely chopped capers
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped flatleaf parsley
- Trim tops and tails from the radishes. Scrub them well. Slice each radish into 4 wedges (if small) or 6 wedges (if large).
- With a mortar and pestle (or in a mini food processor), mash the anchovy, garlic, and a pinch of salt to a paste. Mix in the lemon juice, then slowly blend in the oil, adding it in a thread-thin stream as you mix. Fold in the capers.
- Add the sauce and parsley to the radishes and fold until well blended. Adjust lemon juice and salt to taste. Serve within 30 minutes.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!