If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Figs are still looking good in our Farmers Markets, but there is a cool hint of fall in the air that makes me want a warm hit to a salad of this kind. Ina Garten taught me, through her cookbooks, to toast the goat cheese, and I believe it was she who suggested to use dental floss to cut the slices cleanly. - Lizthechef
Serves 2 as an entreé, 4 as a side salad
- 8 1/2 inch slices of a plain goat cheese loge
- 1 organic egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, best quality
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil, divided use
- 1 teaspoon organic honey
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 4 cups organic "baby" or field greens
- 8 organic figs
- 1 tablespoon organic, unsalted butter
- Coat each slice of cheese with some of the egg white mixture. Roll each one in the panko crumbs until coated. Set coated cheese slices aside on a rack and chill in the coldest part of your fridge while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Heat a small skillet and add the walnuts. Cook until your nose reminds you to remove the skillet from the heat before they scorch. Set aside.
- Using a good-sized salad bowl, prepare your vinaigrette: add the vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Add the honey and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Whisk together.
- Add the greens to the vinaigrette and toss. Stem and halve the figs. Add figs and toasted walnuts. Toss gently. Set aside.
- Using a medium-sized skillet, heat the butter and remaining tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. You want this process to occur quickly in order not to melt the goat cheese! Add the goat cheese slices and cook until lightly browned on both sides.
- Serve the chilled greens on two plates. Top each portion with 2-4 slices of the toasted goat cheese, as desired.
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.