If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This beautiful ruby red risotto is tangy with the flavor of vinegar but mellowed with butter and vegetable broth. It's an excellent side dish for any Fall dinner. —Justforlicks
- 3 bunches beets (cleaned, peeled, sliced thinly)
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sea salt dissolved in 2 cups water
- 5 cloves garlic (make small cut to open flavor)
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- Add the salted water, the vinegar, and the garlic together and boil them in a stainless steel pot for 4 minutes then let cool down.
- Make a small cut in the jalapeño pepper, put it in the empty jar and then add the beets. Try to place the garlic between them so they don’t rise to the top (for better flavor during the pickling process.)
- Once you placed the beets and the garlic pour the brine in to cover everything.
- Close the jar very tightly and leave it out for a week or 10 days depending on the weather and then put it in the fridge. The warmer the weather the faster the process is finished.
Pickled Beet Risotto
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups beet brine
- 3-4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat the vegetable or chicken stock and set aside.
- In a saute pan, melt butter, add beet brine and sugar. Stir to combine and add rice. Cook on medium and gently stir the rice until the brine has almost been absorbed.
- Add one ladle-ful of stock and continue to stir. When the liquid has almost been absorbed, add another ladle-ful of stock. Continue this process until approximately 3 cups of stock have been used.
- Add the heavy cream. The rice should be “al dente” and creamy, not mushy. If the rice is too firm, add more stock until you reach the desired firmness. Taste for salt and serve immediately. Serves 6.
Have Your Campari—and Eat It, Too
Granita is really, really great
Spike your granita with campari.
The craziest chip around.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Savor the season.
This pasta's mint to be.