If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Many times, I see recipes for things that are "healthy," but end up including quite a bit of sugar, syrup, dried fruit, pecans etc. etc. While these things are delicious (and can be healthy in limited amounts), I wanted a breakfast with no added sweeteners/sugars but with plenty of heft to get me through the day. This is where I ended up!
I personally have a deep-seeded childhood love for rolled oats, but steel cut work great here too. Just adjust the oat and liquid amounts accordingly. —JessicaBakes
Makes a vat of oatmeal
- 1 small kabocha squash, diced into 1/2" cubes (butternut will work as well)
- 4 fuji apples, diced small
- 2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 3 cups water, plus some for the kabocha
- 2 pinches salt, or to taste
- Spray a large pot or dutch oven with non-stick cooking spray and heat to medium-high. Add the kabocha and about a 1/2c. of water. Allow it to cook until tender, adding water as needed to aid the very dry squash and keep it from sticking.
- Add the apples to the squash and continue to cook together until the apples are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the almond milk and water, bring to a boil and add the oats. Allow to cook for 10 minutes, stirring, before adding the salt and cooking until the mixture is creamy and the oats are to your desired consistency. As a note, kabocha is a very dry squash and may absorb some of your water, so add as needed to get your oats nice and creamy.
- Once done, the apple should have naturally sweetened your oatmeal, but feel free to add a spot of brown sugar if you'd like. A little extra almond milk on top is also fantastic.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
DIY Nutter Butters Are Better
Sandwich cookies that take peanut butter seriously
DIY Nutter Butters.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
We give it 8 tentacles up.