If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After a 3-year fruit drought, our apple tree produced a bounty of fruit this year. Our apples may not be the most gorgeous you have ever seen, but they are firm, sweet yet tart, and wonderful for baking, making sauce, and eating. I have made countless apple crisps this season, lots of applesauce to freeze, and an apple a day goes into every salad I assemble. The skin is mottled and barely presentable to the consumer's eye, but I love love love that we have a tree in our yard that is giving us such a gift. My other love of this season is local kale that is crisp and just screams healthy. Every day for weeks I have made a kale salad for lunch, puffing up my chest while thinking of the nutritional density of this glorious vegetable. This salad is meant to give my two loves equal billing, with just a little crunch of nut and a sprinkle of cheese to complete the taste. —Bevi
Makes 2 large portions
For the Salad
- 1/2 bunch Fresh Kale - I like dinosaur, but any variety is good
- 1 tart yet sweet crispy apple, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachio nuts
- 1 small handful shaved Parmesan cheese, or another hard cheese of your choice
For the Salad Dressing
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil or other good nut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Kosher or sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Prepare the kale. Wash the leaves, and remove the large vein in the middle of each leaf. Gather up the leaves and slice into thin ribbons. Add to a salad bowl.
- Add the chopped apples, the pistachios, and the shaved cheese to the kale.
- Mix the salad dressing ingredients until emulsified, pour on salad, and toss. Serve as a meal, or with a soup and a slice of good bread.
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.