If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: With the patience of children who have peeked at Christmas gifts on the eve of the momentous day, we would wait, questioning, hounding, begging and being on best behavior till she relented and let us have some. My sisters and I would dash off, bag in hand, and proceed to chomp our way through crisp yet crumbly, sweet yet not sugary cookies. The shredded coconut wasn’t fine, rather coarse, held together with flour but yet extremely coconutty, and at the centre there would be jam. Delicious strawberry jam that had changed character and turned to jelly. Those were the best every coconut jam drops. These are a worthy contestant - Kitchen Butterfly
- 1 cup desiccated coconut, fine or coarse
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkling of cinnamon powder, to taste
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons (raspberry) jam
- Toast desiccated coconut in a pan on the cooktop, till golden. Set aside to cool. Toast almond meal in a pan, till dry and a bit bronzed.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and creamy, add egg and vanilla extract, cinnamon powder and pinch of salt and beat until light and fluffy, turn speed to low and add sifted flour, almond meal, baking powder and 1/2 cup coconut, beat until just combined into a soft dough.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of biscuit mixture into remaining coconut and roll to coat. Arrange balls on a baking paper lined tray allowing 5cm for spreading between each biscuit. Using the back of a wooden spoon, make a dent in the top of each ball and fill dents with a little jam taking care not to overfill.
- Bake biscuits at 170°C for 15 minutes until pale golden. Remove and cool on tray for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Confection
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.