If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tell us about your recipe. - The Perennial Plate
Serves 4 to 6
- 10 corn cobs
- 1 head garlic, cut in half
- 1 small bunch thyme
- stems of basil and mint that are used in the salad
- stems of mushrooms that are used in the salad
- 2 tablespoons toasted peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes
- 1/4 cup butter or olive oil
- 2 cups potatoes, diced (about 4 potatoes)
- 1 pound shitake mushrooms, stemmed
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 cup summer squash, small dice
- 1/2 cup minced basil and mint
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Remove the corn from the cob with a knife. Set the corn aside and roast the cobs in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until the cobs are golden brown. This helps bring out the sweetness of the corn.
- Place the cobs, garlic, thyme, basil and mint stems, mushroom stems, and spices in a pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil, then simmer for an hour and a half. Strain and reserve.
- Saute the onion in the butter and with salt until translucent. Add half the corn and saute with the onions. Add the potatoes and then cover with the corn broth. Simmer for a half hour or until the potatoes are tender. Puree the mixture and pass through a fine sieve (this should remove any of the starchy bits of corn). Add more corn broth to create a broth-like consistency. Season.
- Lay the mushrooms gills-up on a roasting trey and sprinkle liberally with olive oil and salt. Roast at 400 until golden brown and crispy. Cut into slices.
- Saute the other half of the corn in olive oil. Combine the mushrooms, corn, red onion, squash, minced basil and mint, and vinegar. Season. Place the salad into individual bowls and pour the broth over the salad for your guests.
11 Ways to Become a Little More French
Live la vie en rose.
Live la vie en rose.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
A feast for the ears.
Take these foods to go.