If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This dish combines two of my favorites, bread pudding and Thanksgiving stuffing. Roasted butternut squash and leeks combine with creamy goat cheese, hearty bread, fresh cranberries, toasted pecans and thyme to create some fall comfort food. This would be a tasty addition to your Thanksgiving table or a lovely brunch dish served with oven scrambled eggs and grapefruit mimosas. - BlueKaleRoad
- 1 pound butternut squash, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- Olive oil to drizzle
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 3/4 pound dry/stale multi-grain bread, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese
- 1/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 2 1/2 - 3 quart casserole. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the butternut squash and leeks with a few drizzles of olive oil. Spread evenly and roast for about 25 minutes. The squash should be softened but still a bit firm and the leeks should have some brown, crisp edges.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, maple syrup, thyme leaves, salt and pepper. Add the bread, stir well, and let it soak while the squash and leeks are roasting.
- Scrape the squash and leeks into the bread mixture, then add the cranberries. Stir gently. Dollop the goat cheese in (you want to keep some small chunks) and most of the pecans and stir gently again.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole. Scatter the remaining pecans on top. Bake until golden and set, about 55-60 minutes. Serve warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Stale Bread
It's Time to Rhyme
The staff at Food52 give us their best haikus.
Do you haiku?
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Shop Spring Cleaning
Bake yourself breakfast.