If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There are a number of ways to serve polenta; this is a spicy alternative to bread strata; a recipe that was inspired out of my mission to use up the leftover polenta and our garden fresh roasted Anaheim peppers.
Strata is a layered comfort food casserole made with bread, cheese and eggs, the twist with this recipe = polenta, roasted Anaheim and homemade salsa (recipe below), your favorite store bought salsa work just fine. Also, I have easily used spinach and even broccoli in place of roasted Anaheims.
This recipe requires a sit of anywhere between one hour to overnight, allowing the flavors to absorb before baking. It is served warm, most commonly for brunch, but makes a nice side dish, too!
Makes one 8 inch square baking dish – can easily be doubled
- 1-3/4 cup cubed leftover polenta
- 1 cup sliced roasted Anaheim peppers, or your choice of pepper
- 3/4 to 1 cup salsa –- recipe below or your favorite store bought.
- 1-1/4 cup shredded cheddar and a jack cheese mixture; set aside 1/2 cup for topping
- 3 large beaten eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Add ingredients in layers to the pan; beginning with Polenta.
- Add roasted peppers.
- Spoon in the salsa; making sure it soaks down and throughout.
- Add 3/4 cup of the cheese mixture; making sure it is mixed throughout.
- Pour beaten egg over the top; let it soak down and throughout.
- Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add the last 1/2 cup of cheese and bake 10 more minutes.
- Let the strata sit for 5-10 minutes before cutting into.
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped juicy tomatoes
- 1 whole jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cilantro, or Italian parsley, if you prefer - chopped
- Combine all ingredients together.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mash-Up Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast II
And other glimpses into our office life.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Refined at Age Five
That was a close shave.