If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This Thanksgiving I had planned to make a Pumpkin Pie and a Sweet Potato Pie, along with a Concord grape Pie, a Quince Apple Pie and a Sour Cherry Pie. However, time was shorter than I had hoped it would be and I found a recipe that would combine the sweet potato and pumpkin into one in Regan Daley's The Sweet Kitchen. This is a simplified, speeded up version of her lovely recipe. It is really a pudding baked in a pie shell. It tastes of the vegetables, not too spicy or sweet. You will also have the fun of deciding what to do with your leftover pumpkin or sweet potato if you have some. - luvcookbooks
- 1 small pie pumpkin (NOT a jack o lantern pumpkin)
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 single pie crust for 9.5 inch pie pan
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup plus one tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Carve a circle out of the pumpkin around the stem. Scoop out the stringy insides and seeds. Discard the stringy insides and set aside the seeds to bake (that's another recipe). Replace the circle and set the pumpkin in an oven proof bowl. Bake at 350 for about an hour, until tender. Peel and mash. You need two cups of mashed flesh.
- Bake the sweet potatoes at the same time as the pumpkins. They will be done at about the same time. Peel and mash. You need two cups of sweet potato as well.
- Stir the water into the two purees in a big bowl. Beat in the eggs and coconut milk.
- Combine sugars, spices, salt, and flour in a small bowl. Stir so the mixture is homogeneous. Add to the puree bowl.
- You will have a pretty solid (on the dry side) slightly textured mass, not too sweet. You will feel very snazzy because this is so different from the usual pumpkin or sweet potato pie mixture. Ladle it into the pie crust, which you have been keeping in the refrigerator for at least an hour to chill.
- Bake in the lower half of a 375 degree oven for about an hour. A knife will come out of the center clean when it is done. Cool and serve with a strong cup of coffee. It does not really need any accompaniment (whipped cream, ice cream), but on the other hand, it wouldn't hurt.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Thanksgiving Pie