Author Notes: Here is a life lesson: if you have a Frenchman about, no wheel of Camembert is safe. I'm serious. I once hid some in the back of the fridge, completely covered under a bag of lettuce. I happily flounced off to class, thinking there was no way it would be discovered. Oh, how foolish I was. I received a message about twenty minutes later: "Sorry! I ate the Camembert." I learn from my mistakes though, and now when I am going to make this hors d'oeuvre, I buy the cheese the same day! - cristinasciarra
Makes about 20 toasts
- 1 baguette
- 1 wheel of Camembert cheese
Super Simple Cranberry Compote
- 1 bag frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- Make the compote: In a medium pot, combine the cranberries with the water and sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves completely. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat slightly. Add the lemon zest and juice. Stir occasionally, until the mixture thickens, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 300F. Cut a baguette into rounds, and lay them on a baking sheet. Top each round with a thin slice of Camembert. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, until the toast is golden and the cheese is melting. Take the baking sheet out of the oven, and cover each toast with a dollop of the cranberry compote. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack