Author Notes: I love homemade ice cream and enjoy playing around with somewhat untraditional ice cream ingredients. Some work and some don't- pumpkin and ricotta definitely do. This is very simple to make- blend the ingredients up, pour into your ice cream maker and 30 minutes later, you've got a delicious ice cream perfect for the fall. I'm betting it'll make a great whipped cream alternative for pumpkin pie and I'm planning to make it as one of my Thanksgiving desserts... - WinnieAb
Serves 2 quarts
- 3 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar in the raw (or Turbinado sugar or regular sugar)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- In a high speed blender or large capacity food processor, process all the ingredients until smooth. Taste and adjust spices, if necessary.
- Chill in the refrigerator for a few hours, if possible, and them pour into your ice cream maker. Freeze according to your manufacturer’s instructions.
- The ice cream will be finished, though on the soft side, after 30-40 minutes; you can enjoy it like this, or for a firmer consistency, transfer to a container and store overnight in the freezer before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert