Author Notes: This cole slaw is requested by our friends and family at every gathering, regardless of the season. It is one of my husband's signature dishes, and he almost never measures anything, so he and I are trying to be as precise as possible in listing ingredient amounts. He encourages tasting along the way to the finished product. It is a mayo-based recipe, with the addition of sweet pickle juice and a small can of crushed pineapple. If the mood hits me, I will cut up fresh pineapple for him. - Bevi
Serves 6 to 8 servings
- 1 small head green cabbage, finely grated, OR a bag of cole slaw mix
- 2 carrots, medium sized, grated
- 1 8 oz. can crushed pineapple, or 1 cup fresh pineapple, finely chopped, with accumulated juices
- 2 heaping tablespoons sour cream
- 2 slightly less heaping tablespoons of good mayonaise
- 1 heaping teaspoon of country mustard
- 2 splashes sweet pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- Put all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix thoroughly and adjust seasoning to taste as necessary. This slaw is best prepared at least a couple of hours prior to serving. Place in refrigerator and stir every now and then to blend.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad