If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This cole slaw is requested by our friends and family at every gathering, regardless of the season. It is my husband's signature dish, and he almost never measures anything, so he and I are trying to be as precise as possible in listing ingredient amounts. He encourages tasting along the way to the finished product. It is a mayo-based recipe, with the addition of sweet pickle juice and a small can of crushed pineapple. If the mood hits me, I will cut up fresh pineapple for him. We serve My Hubby's Cole Slaw at our annual DC crab cake fest, which takes place every December 23rd. And, while this recipe is not a family heirloom that was handed down to us, Hubby has been making this cole slaw for almost 40 years. —Bevi
Serves 6 to 8 servings
- 1 small head green cabbage, finely grated, OR a bag of cole slaw mix
- 2 carrots, medium sized, grated
- 1 8 oz. can crushed pineapple, or 1 cup fresh pineapple, finely chopped, with accumulated juices
- 2 heaping tablespoons sour cream
- 2 slightly less heaping tablespoons of good mayonaise
- 1 heaping teaspoon of country mustard
- 2 splashes sweet pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- Put all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix thoroughly and adjust seasoning to taste as necessary. This slaw is best prepared at least a couple of hours prior to serving. Place in refrigerator and stir every now and then to blend.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe, Part 2
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad
This Week's Best #F52Farmstands
Cheese peppers, grapes, and more
This week's best #F52farmstands.
Get baking this Labor Day.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Storage made crystal clear.