Author Notes: A pescatarian friendly alternative I came up with for entertaining my numerous pescatarian friends. - Summer of Eggplant
Makes 1/2 dozen
Smoked Trout Meatball
- 1 smoked trout filet
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, toasted and ground
Lemon Cream Sauce
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 3 cloves of garlic cut in half
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch +/-
- 1 pinch sugar
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a skillet. Let cool and grind in a coffee grinder or mini-food processor.
- Flake the trout with your hands. Add in 1/3 of egg white, mix well.
- Make an egg wash by whisking together the water and 2/3rds of the egg white.
- Form the flaked trout into balls about 1" in diameter. Roll them in the egg wash then the pumpkin seeds, repeat this step so each meatball has been in the egg and seeds twice.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 375 for about 12 minutes just to heat up.
- To make the sauce combine all of the ingredients with the exception of the cornstarch and the salt. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the garlic, bay leaf and thyme. remove the sauce from the heat
- Whisk in the cornstarch 1/2 teaspoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack