Author Notes: The idea came about after trying out a successful version of cupcake Lasagna using wonton wrappers. I tried replicating a cupcake version of a burrito in a bowl. In the process of making little slits in the Tortilla to fit it into the muffin tin, The end result was a lovely pinwheel like curling up of the tortilla with the filling inside...next step in the progression was baking corn tortillas to get cupcake Nachos (the tortilla bakes itself into a chip, even as the re-fried beans & cheese melt down deliciously).
This hors d'oeuvre is made in a mini muffin tin. The basic ingredients are corn tortillas, refried beans & a taco cheese blend. Any other topping beyond that is entirely up to you. suggestions: Guacamole, Salsa, sour cream, roast corn, lettuce (chiffonade), Jalapeno - Panfusine
Makes 24 pieces
Toppings (pick any/combination you like)
- 1/2 cup Sour cream
- 1/2 cup Salsa
- 1/2 cup Guacamole
- 1/2 cup Roast corn
- Iceberg lettuce chiffonade
- chopped jalapenos (canned)
One bite nachos
- 12 corn tortilla
- 1/2 cup cup Refried beans
- 1/2-3/4 cup Shredded Cheese (Taco or Mexican blend)
- Oil for brushing
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Wrap the tortilla in a damp kitchen towel & warm them in a microwave. Using a 2 inch diameter biscuit cutter, cut two circles. from each tortilla. Using a 1 inch cutter place in the center as a guide, make 4- 6 1/2 inch incisions (like the spokes of a wheel).
- Brush the inner surface of the muffin pans with canola oil..Place these tortilla circles into the cups, arranging the cut 'petals' like the flaps of a paper pinwheel. Brush with oil and layer with 1/2 a teaspoon of shredded cheese. (this melts & forms a barrier against any moisture seeping thru the tortilla). place a 1/2 teaspoon dollop of refried beans and sprinkle with more cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-25 min until the cheese has melted and the tortilla has crisped up and the flaps 'curl' inwards .
- Remove from oven, cool slightly and smother with any toppings of your choice.