Author Notes: Buttery and rich, melt in your mouth, one-bite savory shortbread cookies that make the best snacking anyplace, anytime!
I always intended to make savory shortbread and finally a Food52 contest inspired me; this is a basic shortbread recipe with two favorite ingredients of mine, sharp cheddar and prosciutto. Highly addicting, bet you can’t eat just one! - lapadia
Makes about 20, ¼-inch cookies from each dough log
- 8 oz (2 sticks) unsalted butter – room temperature
- 5 oz sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded finely (KerryGold Vintage, Irish cheddar aged 2 years preferred)
- 15-20 grinds fresh rainbow peppercorn (or whatever you have on hand) – to your taste
- 4 oz prosciutto small diced – I buy the pre-packaged diced prosciutto = Abraham Diced Prosciutto
- 1-1/4 cup all purpose flour
- Heat a pan over medium heat, add the prosciutto and cook until crispy. Drain on paper towels let, cool completely.
- Grate the white cheddar finely, set aside until needed - micro-plane works nicely for this.
- Beat the butter on medium high until it's fluffy.
- Add the cheddar and peppercorn - continue beating until combined the mixture will look lumpy.
- Begin to add the flour on low speed.
- When the mixture has a crumb appearance, stir in the prosciutto with a spatula. Work the dough, on a lightly floured surface, roll into a squared log.
- For one bite cookies, cut the log into four and shape into 7-inch long smaller logs. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Slice 1/4 inch cookies from a log and place them 1 inch apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes or until the edges just begin to turn golden.
- Let the cookies rest for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before moving them to a rack and let them cool completely. Store these cookies up to a week in an airtight container.
- Note: The dough keeps for two days in the fridge and for a couple months in the freezer (thaw it in the fridge before using).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack