Author Notes: This is the Barefoot Contessa's basic macaroon recipe dipped in chocolate. This is my absolute "go-to" cookie recipe for the holiday season and beyond. DEFINITELY a crowd pleaser and SUPER easy! I recommend using Guitard semi-sweet chocolate for dipping. - Sugarplum
Makes 22 macaroons
- 14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extrat
- 2 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firm peaks. Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
- Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper using either a 1 3/4-inch diameter ice cream scoop, or two teaspoons. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool then dip in chocolate. Let chocolate harden on macaroons and serve.