If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Looking for a new flavor this recipe puts an earthy, savory spin into a traditional buttermilk drink. For a vegan option you can sub almond milk with a splash of cider vinegar for the buttermilk, which will get some tanginess. —Sagegreen
Food52 Review: This was breakfast today, truth be told it was my second time making this delicious shake. It's creamy and chock full of goodness and ultimately satisfying. I didn't have fresh sage so I subbed 1/2 tsp of dried and regular honey for chestnut. I highly recommend you give this a try it's a welcome change from your regular smoothie's or shakes that are made with berries or other fruits. It's barely sweet and the walnuts and sage really make it stand out. Packed full of natural oils from the walnuts and avocado this shake does a body good!! Try it you will love it. —sdebrango
- 1 oz. shelled organic walnuts
- 3-4 one inch long fresh organic sage leaves
- 1/2 ripe organic avocado
- 1 cup lowfat, but real cultured buttermilk (or almond milk with a splash of cider vinegar for vegan option)
- @ 1 1/2 tablespoons chestnut honey (or grade B maple syrup), to taste
- optionally, a few crushed ice cubes
- In a heavy heated pan like a cast iron skillet, toast the walnut pieces for about 2 minutes, just short of smoking. Pan fry the sage leaves for about 1 minute. With the bottom of a smaller pan, or other heavy instrument, crush the walnuts. Shred the sage leaves. Add these to a blender.
- Add the avocado, buttermilk, and chestnut honey. If you like a chilled drink include a few crushed ice cubes. Process until smooth. Pour into one or two glasses. This could be part of a New Year's resolution you could keep.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Walnuts & Sage
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.