If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I wanted to add something leafy and green to my typical potato soup, but I knew the BF wouldn’t go for it unless I countered it with something spicy and meaty. So, in addition to russet potatoes, onions, and carrots, this hearty soup is chock full of kale, spicy-smokey Andouille sausage, garlic, and sweet, buttery chunks of sweet potato. —Loves Food Loves to Eat
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 fully cooked smoked sausage links (like spicy andouille, sliced)
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large sweet potato or yam, peeled and cubed
- salt & pepper
- pinches rosemary (fresh or dried)
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 bunch kale, washed, ribs removed, chopped
- 8 cups broth--chicken or vegetable
- Add a few pours of olive oil and the butter to a stock pot or Dutch oven, heat on medium. Add onion, and cook until translucent. Add garlic and carrots, and cook until fragrant, but don’t let garlic burn or brown too much. Add salt, pepper, rosemary, and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Add sausage, and cook until slightly crisp on the edges—we want it to really meld with the flavor of the onions and garlic, and to release some of it’s fat into the pot. Next, add russet potatoes and cook for a minute or two, just long enough for the potatoes to start sticking to the bottom of the pot, but not enough to burn.
- Add broth, and bring to a boil, scraping cooked bits off the bottom of the pot. Boil for a few minutes, then add the sweet potatoes. Taste, and add more salt/pepper/flakes, if needed.
- Turn heat to medium/low, cover, and simmer. When potatoes are soft and starting to break apart (you’ll have to start checking after about 10 minutes), add kale.
- Cook for a few more minutes, until kale has reduced, and serve (with crusty French bread on a blustery night).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
Butter is better, Jacques Pépin, and more
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
This month's most pinned recipes.
Savor the season.