Author Notes: Perfect for the holidays! There are other kinds of latkes besides plain potato. We like this spicy version. - Loulies
Serves about 12 pancakes.
- 2 large sweet potato, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- dashes cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4-1/2 cup olive oil (for frying)
- Sour cream
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper, curry powder, cumin, salt and black pepper. Add eggs and milk to the dry ingredients to make a stiff batter. Add grated potatoes and mix (the batter should be moist but not runny; if too stiff, add a little more milk.).
- Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons oil in a large frying for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Drop two heaping tablespoons of the potato batter into the hot pan and flatten down with the back of a spatula. Fry 4 to 5 pancakes at a time. Continue to cook over medium-high heat for several minutes until all of the pancakes are golden on each side. Place fried pancake onto a plate covered with a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe