Author Notes: These are a shortbread lover's version of Irish Soda Bread, studded with currants and caraway seeds and a bit of whole wheat flour. They are heavenly with some blue cheese and a glass of prosecco, or a cup of good black tea, or just all by themselves. - calendargirl
Food52 Review: WHO: Calendargirl is an artist living in Washington, D.C. She was part of the team that catalogued Julia Child's kitchen for the Smithsonian!
WHAT: The best things about soda bread -- in cookie form.
HOW: Make an easy shortbread dough, chill it, cut it, and bake it. Enjoy with a cup of tea or a glass of Prosecco.
WHY WE LOVE IT: We love how calendargirl takes two Irish classics -- soda bread and shortbread -- and creates the perfect hybrid. The result: a sweet-savory cookie, studded with currants and caraway seeds, that we'd gladly eat any time of day. - A&M
Makes 3 to 4 dozen shortbreads, depending on size
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, cold
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 scant cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 1 generous tablespoon whole caraway seeds
- Using a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until the mixture is pale, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients and mix until they are well combined, another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove dough from processor and roll out on lightly-floured surface into a free-form shape, roughly 7 x 10 inches and about 1/4 inch thick. I like to roll out the dough on waxed paper or parchment.
- Transfer the dough to a cookie sheet and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350° F and using a sharp knife, cut the dough into desired shapes. Rustic rectangles work well, and it is not necessary to re-roll the scraps if you are satisfied with some irregular edges, which I think are especially nice for these. As long as your cookies are roughly the same size, they will bake evenly.
- Place the shapes on parchment-lined cookie sheets and bake about 10 to 14 minutes, until the bottoms and edges are light brown. Let the shortbreads cool on the cookie sheets for a few minutes, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.